Sunday, September 20, 2009

Final Days in London

Monday was our last free day in London in which we could do whatever we wanted. What does one do with all of London and a free day? How do you choose? Well, one activity was chosen for me, for I had one last place to visit on my class’s required list. So my friend Sarah and I headed over to the Cabinet War Rooms and Churchill Museum that morning. Even though I am a history major, I am not all that knowledgeable about any modern or post-modern history, so I was kind of looking forward to learning something new.



The Cabinet War Rooms were, if you don’t know about them, the place where Prime Minister at the time, Churchill, and his closest advisers and workers met in secret underground, somewhat “safe” from potential bombings. Now the museum has tried to preserve the underground lairs to what they were like when Churchill and his advisers lived there during the war.

Fun history "games" at the Churchill Museum!

Next to the Cabinet War Rooms is the Churchill Museum, which is basically a shrine to Prime Minister Churchill. Sarah and I spent about 2 hours in the museum because there was so much to read, see and do. This was one of the most technologically advanced museums I have been to yet. They have this giant interactive digital time line that is about 6 metres long! There were other interactive "games" where the computer would ask you your opinion on Churchill and then give you further information to either confirm or perhaps change your mind. Even though the museum basically praised Churchill extensively, it was a really fun museum to explore.

View from the top o' the London Eye.

The best way, I felt, to spend my last full free night in London was to go with a few friends up on the London Eye. We all thought it would be interesting to view the city from night instead of when most people go during the day. The city is absolutely spectacular from the air and when you are at the top of the Eye you are almost in the clouds! The entire ride takes about 30 minutes and you get a big pod to sit or walk around in that could fit about 20-30 people. The London Eye is worth the pricey ticket.

My friends and I on the Eye.

The next day was my last day in London, but the group had much to do. We still had to pack, go out for a group lunch and then go to a Dickinson Alumni reception at a very well-to-do exclusive clubhouse. We were supposed to have our last class outside at a park, but because of the nasty, rainy weather, my professor just decided to treat us to a lunch out in Hampstead Heath.

After getting soaked coming back, all of us had to get ready for our big night. Our reception with the alumni would consist of a few of my fellow classmates giving a presentation about what we have learned from our time in London and then mingling with trustees, donors and other alums from the college. It was a bit intimidating for me to be talking with a man who is the CEO of Barclay's, the big bank, etc. out here in London. Overall though, my professor said the alums were blown away by how well-spoken and how much all of us knew. Many volunteered to give the group tickets to things, take us places, etc. It felt very rewarding after working so hard and learning so much that it has all been paid off!

A group of us looking classy at the alumni reception.

Now, onto Norwich and even more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment