Monday, September 28, 2009

A Narnia in Norwich

Adjusting to life here at my Uni in Noriwch has been a bit different and bit harder than adjusting to life in London. In London, we were extremely busy every day, and the city is just one big distraction. Here in Norwich, I finally have a room and time to myself, with spare time being put towards classes, reading, research, walking, and meeting new people. On the one hand I miss London, for it's adventure and ever-changing nature, but I believe I will grow to love Norwich even more, for its country charm, beauty, and it just feels like home.

When I first decided that I was going to study abroad in Norwich, England, one of my first thoughts of joy was the fact that the campus was probably going to look like Oxford or Cambridge and be old and charming. Wrong! I forget that in England they are constantly surrounded by "old" and so, when designing this campus, they went to "new". Of course, this "new" is "70s new" which means it is rather quite hideous. All the buildings are sterile, bland, grey, unemotional, concrete placed into a lovely English countryside. I try not to look at the buildings or become emotionally connected to them when I walk to class.

On of the many "aesthetically pleasing" buildings on campus.

The campus also makes me appreciate Dickinson a bit more. First of all, Dickinson is absolutely gorgeous when compared to what the 70s thought what aesctically pleasing. Secondly, there are about 14,000 students on UEA 's (University of East Anglia) campus, whereas Dickinson has about 2,500. The walks around campus take at most about 30-40 minutes, whereas Dickinson is about 15 (and everyone still complains about the "long" walk at Dickinson ha!). But, I can't just sit here and compare and contrast home and now because that would take away from my experience. I just realize how much I appreciate the little things back at home.


In my backyard!

One of my most recent discoveries though will perhaps make the bad 70s architecture tolerable for some time. On a whim after a lovely pasta dinner, my friend Sarah and I decided to go exploring. A short walk past our flats and down a little dirt path, we were awestruck by a beautiful stream that was cleverly hidden by the residential halls. In the stream we also saw a wild swan, which is common in England, but rare in Pennsylvania. After walking along the stream and taking some pictures, some very friendly Brits told us that there was farmland and a big hill "over yonder" that you can see the entire town. Sarah and I were all over that.
A wild swan.

After walking over a bridge that went over our newfound stream, we entered into a small wetlands, which lead us to the next part of our journey. Stretching before us was English countryside and farmland. We then spotted "Corses" or "Hows", horses that we thought were cows, some sheep and real cows further out. The pathway ran right inbetween the farm animals and it was apparent that the farmer had laid out the pathway for anyone to walk it. The sun was setting, so we never made it up to the hill, but the sites around us were still incredible.

"Corses"


It reminded me of home, yet it was very much not like home. I find myself lapsing into my subconscious that I forget that I am in England. In my mind sometimes I feel like I am just walking around somewhere in Pennsylvania or I am going to class at Dickinson. Sometimes, I cannot believe I am here in England, but I am so glad I have this opportunity to be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment